Times are changing… With a higher education and professional experience, expat spouses are no longer willing to move abroad without considering the impact on their career. In some cases this situation leads employees to refuse the assignment abroad, which affects international organizations and corporations decisions and effectiveness at the Human Resources level.
“It is not our duty as an employer to find a job for our employees’ spouses, but it is our duty to care for them.”
In this episode, you will hear about the experience of Hildegarde Van de Voorde, a family officer attached to the HR department of the Belgian Ministry of Foreign Ministry. She will share how her organization addresses these challenges and what actions she has taken to support the Belgian diplomatic spouses with their dual career challenges.
Hildegarde Van de Voorde is the family offer of the Belgian Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Among many of her missions, she provides support and guidance to the partners of Belgian diplomats when sent abroad on a mission.
Hildegarde has a Master in Roman Philology, a master in international relations and is specialized in financial instruments of trade. She is TCK (Third Culture Kid) and raised TCKs as she accompanied her husband for 25 years abroad and tried to continue a career working for UN and lobby groups.
What you will learn
- What is a family officer and what the missions fulfilled by this position
- What has trigger a change in the way dual career challenges are addressed
- What are the ideas and resources you can use within your organization to support dual career challenges
- How did the Business Idea Accelerator help the family office reach its goals
- What were the results of the Business Idea Accelerator for the spouses who joined the program
Resources and inspiration
Check out related podcast episodes and important info on the topic:
Find Hildegarde online
Take action now:
- Sign up for the free webinar How to find the right business idea for you!
- Do you enjoy listening to this podcast show? Leave on your review on your favorite app – iTunes, Stitcher, Spotify, Google Play